Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Bosu Reactive Strength and Power DVD with Gay Gasper



Fun on the Bosu...but with some drawbacks.
First, I have to say I think utilizing the Bosu in home or gym workouts really adds not only some fun to the task, but also utilizes muscles and adds core strength and balance that you wouldn't otherwise.

That said, this workout does add some fun and good strength training to it's user. It also provides a good instructor with good cueing, which is extremely important to me in a fitness dvd. I also love a workout dvd that combines both strength training AND cardio so that you not only burn instant calories, but continue to build muscle and burn calories afterwards even while at rest. My heart rate monitor showed that this was a great calorie burner and that is very important to me.

Negatives? Becuase the Bosu helps it's user develop good balance, it often takes some "situating" before you are completely in proper form to begin in many of these moves. However, the instructor sometimes moves a bit too fast through the moves not taking this into account. But hear me...

Good Bosu workout
There are 3 segments on this DVD: the first works the lower body, second is upper body and the 3rd is cardio. There is a warmup and stretch. Once you know the the routine you can go heavy with weights and get a good challenging workout. I found that some BOSU workouts are very boring, like the DVD that comes with the BOSU and Absolutely Abs was pretty boring as well. Not this one. It has a good pace and Gay instructs well. The background exercisers are Mindy Mylrea and Gregg (the guy from Absolutely Abs). I like this workout well, but wish it also had abs, however, throughout, the core is definitely engaged. The DVD is chaptered. I like to do the warmup, segment 1, then segment 2 twice (upper body), then segment 3, stretch, and add some abs from another workout. If you have a BOSU and weights, this workout is worth having.

Great workout
I was suprised that this didn't get better reviews, because this is one of my favorite Bosu DVDs. Personally, I don't think it's worth buying an exercise DVD where you can do everything that they do in the DVD right away. You need to get something you can work up to improve your current abilities.

I like Gay's teaching style - straight-forward and realistic. Exercise DVDs where the instructor is very bouncy and giggly never appeal to me.

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment