Monday, October 7, 2013

Zen Breakthrough: Making Contemporary Experimental Art with Sumi Brushes, Reed Pens and Mixed Media



Inspiring!
I really enjoyed the Zen Breakthrough DVD. I felt like I was in a private class. Bill's manner is so relaxed as he is teaching us on the DVD, even though he goes over so many different brush & pen techniques plus abstract painting ideas. I found the DVD very informative and filled with lots of exercises to try. This DVD is over 2 hours long and packed full of creativity! I loved being able to listen to Bill's philosophy about painting, especially how abstract painting is similar to improvisation in music (or dance). You need to be prepared, practice your skills but also be able to think on your feet and flow with what happens as you are painting. I loved seeing him work with the sumi brush and I will go back, review and then try some of these exercises myself. Watching him do an abstract painting, seeing his process is so helpful to me. I look forward to watching this again, pausing the DVD and trying his suggestions. Very inspiring!!

A Lot to Learn
What a great instructional video! I have been a student in Bill Buchman's figure drawing and abstract drawing classes several times because I enjoy his approachable teaching style as well as his expertise. When I turned on the video, I was in class, not sitting in front of a computer screen. I was especially interested in learning more about how to use the Sumi brushes and the bamboo pens. The producers of the video did a great job of letting Bill teach. I highly recommend this video.

An Inspring Performance of Zen Improvisation I Love those Colorful Ensos
In this new DVD Bill approached it as I did in my recent Ox-Herding painting with him(please search on Youtube if you want to watch that)...as a pure improvisation(around a general plan). Once I started watch this DVD and I could not help finishing watching the whole series in one single evening. Bill has done it as good as I could wish in this more than 2 hours DVD. I really enjoyed his spontaneous painting process while he was talking about what was in his mind responding to unexpected situations. Being a Jazz musician Bill's improvisational teaching style is very inspiring to me in my own Chinese brush painting class. I really enjoyed his great spirit of having fun, exploration and zen improvisation in this DVD and will recommend it to all my CBP students.

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment