Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Casper the Friendly Ghost: The Complete Collection (1945-1963)



Excellent Casper DVD Set
So I received my advanced copy of the "Casper" DVD that I did commentaries and interviews for. Overall, I give the set high marks with some minor quibbles that I had no control over.

On the plus side, the set looks good. There are two slimline case clamshells; one featuring the two theatrical discs and the third disc in its own case features all of the "New Casper Cartoon Show" episodes.

The 20-page full-color booklet looks fantastic and of course, it was written by yours truly, so it is crammed with tons of information including where every episode appears in comic books, when applicable.

The first three Casper cartoons that are now in the public domain are actually featured as bonus features of disc one. There are 10 commentaries strewn throughout. All feature me with three of them with Edmee Reit (widow of Sy), three of them with Bradley Bolke and three of them with Alison Arngrim (daughter of Norma MacMillan).

I first saw the 15+ minute...

Still great after all these years!
I was a big fan of Casper growing up and was highly anticipating this release, though I did so with trepidation as it seems there are some child-hood favorites that I re-visited as an adult that lost their magic. Luckily, this was not the case with Casper.

The artwork is absolutely beautiful in the early to mid 50s cartoons and though Casper could be cheesy at times, the cartoons still retain their warmth and happiness. It was fun to see the New Casper Cartoon openings which I remembered from my childhood. I'm really glad the booklet was included chock full of great Casper trivia and history.

I showed my five-year old nephew some of the cartoons and it seems that Casper has found a new fan!

Definitely recommend this to anyone of any age!

Everything I hoped it would be.
I have been looking for all 26 episodes from the 1963 "Casper new cartoon show" for a good 10 years. I love that all 26 are on one dvd. Thank you so much for releasing this!

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment