Thursday, October 17, 2013

Ghost Ships of the Great Lakes



Great Program!!!
I have always had a passion for history, particularly in Great Lakes maritime history and the storms that have claimed many a vessel and sailor. National Geographic Channel is known for producing quality documentaries, including those relating to marine archaeology, so I had high hopes for this show. After receiving and watching Ghost Ships of the Great Lakes, I can say I am honestly jealous that I was not a part of the expedition team that discovered both these shipwrecks.

Jealousy aside, this program tells an amazing story, bringing everything together with one woman's story, miraculously surviving one storm that claimed her vessel's tow-ship , yet meeting her tragic demise years later in an eerily similar gale. Even though the woman, Frankie Waters, died over one-hundred years ago, her account of the 1898 storm, along with the discovery of her remains in the 1960s, led to the discovery of both the L.R. Doty and the Olive Jeanette. Two long-lost and nearly forgotten...

Beware---Only plays on Windows 7
I returned the first copy of this title because it would not play on my DVD nor on my computer. Amazon sent a replacement. The replacement did not play either. It turns out that it only plays on a Windows 7 operating system--which we only have on our newest computer---I would have liked to watch this on our TV while comfortably lying on the sofa rather watching on a monitor while seated on a desk chair in my husbands office. I'm sure the film is great but it'll probably be a long time before I'll sit at a desk to watch it.



Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment