Friday, October 4, 2013

Appalachian Fingerstyle Guitar in DADGAD Tuning



Great instructional DVD.
I was blown away by this DVD. Al Petteway is an amazing guitarist and great teacher. I highly recommend this video. A+

Superb Teaching
AA++ I recently fell in love with fingerstyle guitar and alternate tunings. When I heard this arrangement of Wayfaring Stranger I was in awe. This was a stretch for me and way above my then current abilities. NOW... I can actually play it note for note with the DVD. This step by step video includes the music notes and TAB. Regardless your preference for learning Al Petteway covers all the bases. Now I'm learning a couple more of these fascinating tunes. My best piece of advise? Tasty elephant... How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time! New to alternate thumb picking and clue less how to learn something this complicated, I took it ONE measure at a time. Soon I was adding those bites together and 19 measures down; I was at the bridge, which repeats, so well on my way. I can't express how highly I recommend this DVD. Thanks All Petteway! My listeners thank him, too. Good luck and happy musical growth. ~Godspeed rj PS a metronome was extremely helpful.

10 great songs in DADGAD * good variety * tabs included on DVD
With "Appalachian Fingerstyle Guitar" Al Petteway presents his third DADGAD (one utilized also other open tunings) on Homespun Video. There are 10 songs on the DVD (John Henry, Sitting on the Top of the World, I Am a Pilgrim, Going Down the Road Feelin' Bad, Wondrous Love, Wayfaring Stranger, Shady Grove, Pretty Polly, Reuben's Train, Craggy Pinacle), some of them arranged as a medley. All songs are well suited for the intermediate guitarist and - due to the use of different techniques and different tempi (Craggy Pinacle for example is pretty fast) - should present a challenge to keep you busy for some time. The arrangements are really good and clearly underline the strengths of the DADGAD-Tuning. Tabs are included on a PDF file, which means that you basically print out the score of the song you want to learn. Al adds information concerning each different song and the DADGAD-tuning in general. When it comes to teaching, Al also does a good job. Since some songs are played rather fast,...

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment